We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
What are wooden plinths for?
Like all baseboards, wooden plinths are essential in laying a floor, because they benefit from important functions which are:
- hide the small faults of laying flooring and the expansion joints (between the floor and the walls),
- Ensure a visual transition between the different materials on the walls and on the floor,
- Protect the walls of humidity, dirt and shocks,
- Tweak the decoration.
What are the different types of wooden plinth?
The materials generally used for wooden plinths are solid wood and MDF.
- The solid wood plinths are made from wood species such as fir, pine, ayous or oak. According to his tastes, there are solid wood plinths with or without knots.
Solid wood plinths have the advantages of being raw and be able to be sanded in the event of impact or wear. However, the major drawback of solid wood baseboards is the risk of cracking or deformation, since it is a natural and living material.
- The MDF plinths are made from MDF, a medium density wood fiber panel commonly referred to as "medium". These plinths exist in two qualities: wood veneer or laminate. They cost less than solid wood baseboards. Laminated MDF baseboards are more sensitive to impact and are less durable than wood veneer ones.
MDF skirting boards have the advantages of being easily combed and cut, of being impermeable to the water, to be more stable that solid wood plinths (they do not split and do not deform) and to be able to pass the electrical wires, whether they are laid, glued or clipped.
Which wooden plinth should you prefer for your floor?
The solid wood plinths may be suitable for all floors, but also to some laminate floors. If the objective is to combine solid wood plinths with parquet, you can choose them in the same species, to match the plinths with the floor; or to paint, to match the plinths with the walls. In this case choose a cheaper species like the fir where the pine.
The wood veneered MDF plinths exist in different species in order to coordinate with all the parquet floors. The MDF plinths laminate are covered with decorative paper: their finish can match that of the parquet, or be white in order toto be painted to match the walls.
In all cases, choose your wooden plinths depending on the functionality of the reception room. This will allow them to be the most suitable for the situation. If it is a so-called hygiene room, favor MDF plinths waterproofed. For the other rooms, other criteria can be taken into account such as the color of the floor covering, the type of parquet…
It is best to choose your wooden plinths so that it fits in as best as possible with the style of the room. For the decoration to be homogeneous, carefully choose the height and the finishes of yours plinths. A plinth that is too high could give the impression of being in an overloaded room, while a simple plinth in a house with moldings could appear out of place. Anyway, there are finishes for all tastes: straight model, molded, rounded ... You choose according to your tastes and your desires!
Discover here all the types of installation of wooden baseboards and the like. Have you chosen wooden plinths to stick? Yes, but how to ask them? Discover all our tips for sticking its plinths. Have you chosen wooden plinths to clip? You don't know how to ask them well? Discover all our tips for clipping its plinths.